Wednesday, April 6, 2016

The craft of capturing motion

From the last few weeks I have had this urge to experiment with motion and create short stories through moving frames. At the end of the day, the urge is always to tell a story, the only difference here is the medium.

Perhaps it is all those hours I spent watching other people's videos, that I felt a bit inspired to try my own hand at it.

Of course, I have nothing to call equipment really. So all my shots are captured by a phone camera, with me manually zooming in and out and focussing. I think this is the most basic form of what is called as guerrilla shooting/film making style. 

I don't have any control over my subject either, so everything depends on the way I edit the shots once I have captured a few footages.

The very first attempt was a trailer of our recent trip to Puglia region in Italy this Easter, but this was greatly aided by iMovies software. (link here, if you want to check it out :)

The one below is my very first movie. It is only about a minute long, but I wanted to capture the liveliness of the Peterborough city centre. 
Peterborough being an underdog of a city, always fascinates me, and for a while I have been meaning to find a way to tell it's story. Let me know what you think of the one below.



I was also very surprised, that I enjoyed the process of editing even more than the filming. The whole process of taking lots and lots of random shots and being able to stitch a few of them together in a certain fashion, such that a story evolves from it, is possibly the essence of motion picture creation for me.
(still from the movie)


I really hope this will not be yet another seasonal interest for me, and that I dedicate time and effort in learning this craft.

No comments:

Post a Comment