Sunday, January 28, 2024

A ghost and a shadow


If I think about it,
You have always been
Like a ghost to me.

On most days
A forgotten memory,
Until suddenly your absence
Sends a chill down my spine.
And like a soul, possessed,
I find myself sitting out in my balcony
Having an imaginary conversation 
About gangsters and their paradise.

And I have been
Like a shadow to you.

Following a notion of you around,
trying to keep up,
Riding the crest, and then down the valley
Until eventually I disappear,
Sinking back into the horizon.

And that is how we exist - 
A ghost and a shadow,

A long distance relationship, 
Thriving in imperfect harmony.
We don't belong in the same song,
Our heart beats don't even rhyme
And the smiles we shared, 
in our overlapped past - 
While some were fake,
Others, a function of incidental
happenstance.

Yet somehow after all these years
You found me, slowly blending
Into my backdrop.
And revealed again that child in me,
Who wrote verses and jumped a lot.

---

To that one friend, who I don't really understand and I don't know if he understands me either. But when we meet, we smile at each other.



No comments:

Post a Comment