Monday, November 14, 2011

Friends, Indians, Citizens

Lend me your ear.

I have come to your country
your home, your pride,
show me around,
do let me stay.

I see new buildings, new roads,
new malls, but I can't see too well
the smog covers your achievement
a fuzzy blanket of grey.

I see you are rich,
the old Maruti 800
exchanged for a loan,
a Honda city with driver and of course
a brand new three BHK.

I see you eat in posh restaurants
if you can steal yourself
away, from the flat panel LCD TV
reporting live stories of corruption
but you aren't affected anyway.

And why would you be?
You have worked hard to get here
coding, managing, producing, investing or
perhaps bribing, lying, tax evading
it's hard work all the same.

Friends, Indians, Citizens
Lend me your heart.

I am convinced your nation is growing,
and all of you brave hearts,
competing in this race.
But do you see a finish line,
do you see the end?

Do you feel the pressure
you exert on your children?
For every inflated crore you earn
for tuition classes and college admissions
the young one will have to pay.

And how will they return your investment
your emotions and your expectations?
How will they choose to be individuals
and fall in love, and write their own future
how will they ever innovate?

You tell me it's the society,
the corrupt government and wicked politicians
you tell me it is practical, this lifestyle
you have chosen, to save yourself
from this evil age.

Friends, Indians, Citizens
Get rid of your fear.

You don't have to live like robots
programmed not to think
You are your society, not the society you
so why take orders from
someone else?

Exercise those unused rights, the muscles
and your mind, think what you believe in
fight for the cause, take risks
stand tall, be firm, demand explanation
and be true to yourself.

Know this, when you start your movement
and set an example, others will follow
slowly at first, but later in numbers.
Be a leader, be the change and
use your fancy degree in MBA.

Friends, Indians, Citizens,
If you betray yourself, your country will fall one day.




2 comments:

  1. Liked it. Although I am not sure if it applies to only India in particular. Rat race happens all over.

    Also, I am glad that you are writing again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Car, thanks for visiting me (in spite of my history of closing shop once)
    I agree rat race is all over, but I guess I get affected the most by the Indian brand. In a foreign country, since I don't completely belong to their society, I am always exempted from their expectations and rules which in turn makes me less perceptive to them.

    ReplyDelete